Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Theft: the unpardonable sin, in my book.

I shouldn't blog about this...I really shouldn't. I have been praying for my anger to go away ALL day, and writing about it will just conjure up all my wrath all over again. But I feel like I want to record it anyway...all for the sake of the record.

We were robbed. On Conference Sunday. We didn't find out until today, because the only thing they took was the GPS, right off my dashboard. Charger, sticky pad, and all. Ooo...as I type it, my blood is starting to boil again. We accidentally left the car unlocked last Saturday night as we stumbled in from a fun night with our friends the Willises. The kids were tired, I had a headache, and we just walked right in the house without thinking. A mistake that would cost us dearly. I couldn't find the GPS yesterday when I went to the library, but I thought that Andrew had just taken it to his car, for some weird reason. Then today when we were together, we figured out that the WHOLE THING was missing, not just the GPS itself. The only conclusion that could be drawn was that some *expletive expletive* white trash person stole it.

Now I'm not going to put on some saintly attitude and say, "Maybe they needed it more than I do." Because I would be lying. NOBODY needs a GPS more than I do. I am so directionally challenged, it's not even funny. It took me over a month to learn how to get to my high school. In Orem, UT. Where all the streets are perfectly, logically numbered. That should give you an idea of how I struggle in a brand new town, a BIG town compared to any I've lived in lately, finding my way around.

I don't know what I'm going to do. It was a Christmas gift last year. Ironically, both sets of parents gave us a GPS knowing how lost I get and that we were soon moving to a new place, so we kept one and returned one. Silly me. If I had been able to look into my crystal ball and see the future - my future of being a victim of crime - I would have kept both. Now I'm going to have to BUY one (because I know I won't be able to live without it...okay, I would live, but I would spend a TON of time wandering around), and there are SO many other things I need to be saving for. Like a new computer, for one. And we all know that my penny-pinching husband doesn't just go throwing money to the wind...to say the least.

I guess what overwhelms me is the complete, unfair, injustice of it all. What gives people the right to walk onto someone's property and help themselves to whatever they want? Regardless of whether or not the door is locked. I am just incredibly disappointed in the entire human race. I feel like I can't trust anyone. And this only deepens my fears of being robbed in the house while Andrew is gone on one of his many 10-day trips, or - heaven forbid - his deployment next summer. It only makes me more anxious to live in this world - especially this town.

I am going to have to have an extra amount of faith and trust that my family will be protected in Andrew's absence. It just makes me wish that some people didn't have the gift of free agency. I wish it was something that was earned instead of handed out freely to the bad guys and good guys alike. I hate that I am a victim of someone else's stupidity, and there is NOTHING I can do about it. But most of all, I hate that I will spend the next several months completely lost without a friendly voice telling me to "exit right ahead" and "you have reached your destination." I'll sure miss my GPS.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Steph- I am so sorry! A theft makes you feel so violated and helpless. But do check your insurance coverage- some renter's/homeowner's insurance will cover items in your car. Best wishes-

Katie said...

You read about the my neighbors getting robbed. It saddens me to think that this is what the world has to offer. I'd get a security system for your house because of our military life style. I feel more secure now that I know someone is always looking out for me. With Brad gone periodically, I feel safe in my own home. Good luck!

Brittani said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. On our trip in San Diego this summer someone broke the window in our new car to steal Grant's phone and charger. Ironically enough we were at church...nice. I do not understand how people can have such disregard for other people's property to fill a personal desire. Needless to say homeowners does cover the GPS, but it might bring your rates up, so easier to buy a new one. As for the safety in home, I am so all about security systems. With Grant gone so much last year we bought one, and as a result I still have my sanity and no more sleep deprivation than set on by a new born. It was so worth the less than $2000 to feel safe in my own home with my kids when Grant is gone. Love it, love it, love it and will never go without it again!

Our Family said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that! We actually got our GPS stolen a couple months ago-in gated military housing in the middle of nowhere, nonetheless. It still makes me mad. However, we did learn a good lesson-hiding the GPS doesn't always work, so we just make sure to take it with us. Anyways, just wanted you to know I feel your pain!

Leah said...

Steph I am so sorry. That is the pits, you always feel so taken advantaged of. I remember you showing me your GPS after Christmas and How much you loved it.

Annie. said...

That seriously stinks! If it makes you feel any better, I probably couldn't even make it to Sandy by myself, and all I have to do is hop on the freeway and look for the exit signs. It's so embarrassing. I had to find Fashion Place mall the other day by myself, and I had NO idea what I was doing!