Saturday, January 3, 2009

My reading list for 2009

In response to a few requests to post my reading list for the year, here it is. As a little bit of a disclaimer, these are not books that everyone would want to read. They are mostly "Mormon literature," except for one. I have had most of these books for years, and I hate that they sit on my shelf unread. Also, I feel the need to expand my mind in the area of my religion. It's high time I read these books. And I'm not necessarily recommending them yet, seeing as I haven't read them. Each month, I will post a review on that month's book and let you know what I think. With that said, here is the list.

January: Finding Joy in Family Life: Using the Gospel of Jesus Christ to become a better person, partner, and parent - H. Wallace Goddard

February: Standing for Something - Gordon B. Hinckley

March: The Holy Temple - Boyd K. Packer

April: Simplify: A Guide to Caring for the Soul - Carolyn J. Rasmus

May: Between Parent and Child - Haim G. Ginott (this is the only one not written by an LDS author, FYI)

June: Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love - Bruce C. Hafen

July: Feasting on the Word: The Literary Testimony of the Book of Mormon - Richard Dilworth Rust

August: To Draw Closer to God: A Collection of Discourses by Henry B. Eyring

September: No Doubt About It - Sheri Dew

October: Eternal Companions - Douglas E. Brinley

November: The Redeemer: Reflections on the Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ - multiple authors

December: Moving in His Majesty and Power - Neal A. Maxwell

Now I have a secondary list of books I have started at some point but never finished. (I do that alot.) If I finish one book early, I will read one of these. (Not LDS literature.)

The Agony and the Ecstasy - Irving Stone
The Portrait of a Lady - Henry James
Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
Death Comes for the Archbishop - Willa Cather (Don't know what it is about me and this book...this will be my fourth time restarting it. The third time was NOT the charm. Maybe this time it will resonate more with me.)
Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf

2 comments:

Emily said...

I love your book choices! I think I will try to do the same! I have read or listened to a few of your book choices and was so inspired. Enjoy your books! (And take a look at goodreads.com!!) :)

The Willis Wonder Years said...

You are so good to organize yourself like that. I too have 8,329 books that sit unopened and unread on my shelf. I think you have inspired me. As soon as I am done reading the book you gave me (which I love by the way, so thank you so much) I am going to tackle some of the other books that are collecting dust on the shelves.