Monday, July 21, 2008

Little things

One of my favorite quotes (which can also be found on my sidebar to the right) says, "The little things? The little moments? They aren't little." I have found this be to more true than ever these days, so I just wanted to bear testimony of that quote. Here are a few not-so-little things.

-A piece of a thorn in the bottom of my foot. I stepped on it yesterday afternoon, and it went deep into my foot. It is so small, in fact, that I can barely even see it, let alone get it out. It hurts to walk and I have to curl my foot in this crippled way to hobble around. As if I don't have enough pains in my body right now, let's add one more to the list. I'm considering just digging a hole around the general area. I'll let you know how it goes...

-On the same foot, I have a small wart. I am strangely proud of the fact that I have a wart. It's like when I was little, all I wanted was glasses, a retainer, and a broken arm with a cool cast. I got two of the three things (glasses and a retainer after getting my braces off) in college and found that it wasn't as cool as I thought. Same kind of thing with the wart. They have always kind of fascinated me in a sick way. So I've had this little bump on my toe for a couple years now, and Andrew finally confirmed to me the other day that it is, in fact, a wart. So I went and got some wart remover stuff and prepared to get it off. I mean, it's one thing to have a wart, but entirely another to leave it on there even after you know it's a wart. But before I continue, let me say first that I LOVE my feet. I think they are my best feature, and if I had my druthers, I would switch things around and put my face on the ground and my feet up where everyone could see them. With that said, I continue. This little wart is on my second toe on my right foot. Even with the wart, my feet are dang cute. Until the little wart remover medicine happened. It turned the wart screaming white and made it LOOK like a wart, whereas before it just looked like a little bump. Now it is obvious that I have a wart, and I don't feel like it's cool anymore. I just want it gone so I can have my cute feet back. It's a good thing I never leave the house. Long story short: this little wart is a big thing right now.


-The thought that came to me this morning that I have pretty much NOTHING to wear. My maternity pants still fit, but the shirts don't. I have like 2 ugly t-shirts and that's IT. That little thought was enough to send me over the edge into a crying meltdown. I had had quite enough already with the sore nipples (there really is no other pain like that, is there?) and the throbbing incision and the thorn in my foot and Eva's crying and feeling bad looking at Leighton's heat rash on his face that makes him look like an acne-d up teenager and Andrew leaving me all alone to go to work for 4 hours...the no clothes thing was the straw that broke the camel's back. Actually, I'm not a camel, I'm a cow (MOO). The straw that broke the cow's back. And apparently Andrew is so used to me crying after breastfeeding that he didn't even ask me what was wrong or come over to comfort me for at least 10 minutes. Add insult to injury, right? You know when you are having a pity party and you just keep thinking of more things to make you cry harder? Yeah, that was me. I'm over it now, but it was just one little thing after another. Oh, hormones. You're not so little, are you?


-Naptime. Both of my children are asleep, and I am free to blog my heart out. That is a little thing, but it's making me pretty happy right now.


-This picture of Leighton's little tiny finger.

After all my hard work at breastfeeding him, this is the thanks I get--the newborn version of a flip-off. He has NO idea what I go through just to fill his little tummy. :) But aren't his little fingers the cutest?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Stephanie I am incredibly jealous that your pregnancy clothes don't fit--neighter do mine, but for different reasons. I'm SOOOO ready for the little guy to come. In the mean time I'll continue to eat otter pops, and maybe Clay will treat me to Bahama Bucks.

I'm excited that you guys are going to make another trip here!! And this little stink better be here by then.

Your little Leighton is so dang cute! He's going to be a little swimmer just like his mamma--I can't believe he didn't even cry during his first bath! Sorry to hear about the thorn in the foot, those are the worst! But, you do have super cute feet none the less.

Leah said...

You make me laugh everytime I read your blog. I have been at home for a couple of weeks, so I am not sure I said congrats on little Leighton. He is such a handsome little boy. I hope nursing is going better, it does get better, even thought that might be hard to believe. I can't believe she climbed out of her crib, she is quite determined. Glad to here you are still alive and well, home you make it to Seattle soon, when exactly are you leaving Altus?

Stacey said...

I definitely hear you about the newborn bathing--they are so slippery! I still get nervous giving Miles a bath without another pair of hands to help. Leighton is unbelievably cute! I'm jealous of his perfect, round little head!