Wednesday, July 23, 2008


It's nap time, and once again I sit down to write. This is becoming a routine--maybe an addiction--that I rather like. I told my friend Krista (successful gardener and seamstress extraordinaire) in an e-mail this morning that my afternoon blog time is my outlet. And it really is. So for all of you who think I am neglecting my children by being such a faithful blogger, you are wrong. They are fed and peacefully sleeping, and I'm thrilled about my me-time. :)

Just as a side note before I begin, I am listening to some awesome music on this blog I stumbled across, Passionista. She always has a great playlist going, and it's relaxing to listen to during my blog time. Check it out if you want some good tunes.

This morning Andrew left for work before I woke up. I got up at 8am, just in time to prepare Leighton's breakfast before he woke up. Then began the juggling of all the things I needed to do. I think this will become the theme for this season of motherhood--juggling. See, with just one child, it was pretty easy to get my priorities straight. Wake up, change her diaper, feed her, then eat breakfast myself, entertain her in some way so I could shower and get ready, and so on. Well, this morning was a different beast entirely. My first time doing the morning routine alone, and...let's just say I'm really proud of myself that both children and I are dressed in something other than pajamas.
Eva woke up with a stinky diaper, but since I was feeding Leighton I had to make her sit in it. Then I decided to feed her breakfast before changing her diaper, because Leighton was stinky and his smelled alot worse. (Probably not the best basis for making my decision, but...whatever.) I sat her in her chair, changed Leighton and got him dressed, and finished feeding him. Then Eva's diaper. Then, I realized that if I didn't eat something IMMEDIATELY I was going to fall on the floor and die. (Is it normal to be so ravenously hungry all the time?) I set Leighton in his bouncer chair and Eva next to me on the couch (we don't have a kitchen table) to down a bowl of cereal before the next crisis. Leighton started crying, but I decided to finish eating (selfish? maybe...) before getting him what he needed. Which turned out to be more food. He must be on a growth spurt, because he went from eating 2 ounces to 4 1/2 ounces overnight. Little piggy.

My point is not to hash out my morning routine with you, my bored readers, but to say that being a mom of two requires alot more and alot faster decision-making ability. I didn't realize this until this morning. It seems like both kids need things, and need them NOW, and I feel like my brain is running circles trying to decide which need is more urgent and what to do first. I don't know how my hygiene habits are going to fare with this. I have to admit that there have been a couple days in the last 2 weeks where 3pm rolls around and I realize that I haven't brushed my teeth yet that day. (But I did make time for blogging, don't you worry. Priorities? HA!) I did eventually get a shower today, thanks to the heaven-sent gift of Signing Time videos. (Hey, don't judge me for using the television as a babysitter. Those videos are totally educational, and she loves them. And frankly, I didn't really care what she watched as long as I could get 5 minutes to wash the spit-up and milk off of me.)

So here's to the chaos of the morning time, and to the fact that Andrew doesn't have a true full-time job. (Thank you George Bush, but for real this time.) Oh, and to my dwindling brain cells. I hope they hold up under all this stress.

P.S. I made a treat after lunch that is yummy and easy: chocolate cornflake treats. I don't know what they're really called, but I got the recipe on the back of the Cornflake box.

1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 c butterscotch chips

1/2 c peanut butter

5 c Cornflakes

You make them just like Rice Krispie treats. Eva loved it--mostly because I let her lick the spoon.


Lindsay & Kenny Weston said...

sounds like a yummy treat! You're doing a great job Steph! I guess all I can say is hang in there--I can't say I know what you're going through day in and day out, but it's a good thing you've had moms and Andrew around for at least a little while to help ease into it. I love nap time too! Ty is still sleeping and I just finished cleaning the kitchen so now I can walk in without throwing up! And I got a nap too! woohoo. I'll be sending you your camera soon because mine is in the mail on the way. Thank you so much for letting me use it!

Watts Family said...

2 kids sounds like a lot of work! I will be calling you a lot when that happens for us!

Lisa said...

You are doing awesome! The first 6 months with Clayton was the toughest; but then it got better and better. When the baby starts sleeping through the night, you'll really start feeling more like yourself again. Now as for three kids . . . I'm not sure about that. We'll see!