Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sssss

Have you been introduced to the wonder that is pre-shelled sunflower seeds? I hadn't ever seen these, until 2 weeks ago when I was trying my darndest to eat healthier, and, while wandering in the produce section, saw these small pieces of heaven. You see, I have a thing with sunflower seeds. I love them. My whole life, we have eaten them on roadtrips, mostly. But I eat them in an unusual, and possibly dangerous, way - I eat them whole, with the shells on. I just can't be bothered to get that small little seed out of the shell, and plus I really like the saltiness on the outside. So despite warnings from my mom that I was going to choke to death on a piece of shell, I shoveled handfuls of whole sunflower seeds into my mouth and chomped them down. Luckily, I am still here to tell you the story - I have yet to choke on a shell.

BUT. Now that I have fallen in love with the preshelled kind (by the way, I really hope these are done by machine and there's not a bunch of poor people in China shelling them by hand - that would make me feel horrible), there might be no going back to the original ones.

However, I am not the only member of this household who has fallen in love with this bag of crunchy, salty deliciousness; Eva has also found a new favorite snack. She picks them up one by one with her little fingers. When she wants some "seeds," as I have taken to calling them, she says, "Sssss! Sssss!" She can't figure out the whole word yet, so I have learned that when she hisses at me from across the room, she is asking for a plate of seeds. They have fallen all over the floor and I find them everywhere, but I don't mind. I'm glad that Eva and I can share a love for seeds. Or ssss.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Yum. I like the shells too, but I'll have to try the pre-shelled seeds.

Unknown said...

So are you the cutest mom or what?! I must say I LOVE your new doo and you have the cutest clothes. Purple looks great on you. I hope all is well in your new place. I'm sad that we won't get to have weekends spent with you guys.

hillarie said...

Ca-yoot hair!!! Okay, I'll stop commenting now.