Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I've lost control of my appetite, and it has nothing to do with pregnancy.


I was at the park with the kids on a beautiful, warm, sunny day. I was chatting with Marelize and enjoying not being in the house when I saw a car pull up at a house across from the park, and a mother and daughter got out. The daughter was wearing a green vest. Marelize said, "Oh, they must be delivering Girl Scout cookies!" My heart pounded. Delivering them? When had they taken orders? Marelize said a month ago.

No. No. It couldn't be. Had I missed my chance to enjoy the most delicious annual treat? I sprinted across the road and breathlessly asked the mother if I could still order some. My soul filled with joy as she said yes. With shaking hands, I wrote down what I wanted on her very-full order form. 1 box of Tagalongs, 1 box of Samoans, and 3 boxes of Thin Mints. (Thin Mints are one of life's greatest pleasures, you know.)

My 5 boxes were delivered a few hours later, and I handed over the $20 check without batting an eye. (It's a good thing Andrew isn't home.) We first dug into the Tagalongs for a late-afternoon snack. Oh, they were incredible.

That night after the kids were in bed, I was watching the Olympics and talking to Andrew on the phone. I brought a package of Thin Mints on the couch with me while I watched and talked. Before I knew it, over half the package was gone. Boy, are those things easy to pound. And heavenly.

Yesterday...we finished off the Tagalongs. (Really, there aren't that many in the box. Not enough.) Okay, I finished off the Tagalongs. And the package of Thin Mints. Come on, there were only like 6 left. Last night during my Olympic session I brought to the couch the box of Samoans. They are so sweet and rich that I could only eat 2. I counted that as a blessing, seeing as I had already eaten about 3,000 calories of cookies that day.

But I can't help myself. It's a once-a-year splurge, and I haven't bought any since we've been married. I figure once they are gone, they are gone.

Except I know the Girl Scouts will be sitting outside Walmart next week, tempting me once again. And I can't promise I won't stop and buy a case of Thin Mints. I hear they freeze well.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Thin mints freeze great! Just let the thaw before you munch on them. They taste much better and won't hurt your teeth so much :)

Lacking Productivity said...

I am a sucker for Samoas...caramel, cookie, coconut ... mmmmm. Just typing that has released and combined all sorts of hormones and chemicals in my brain right now.

Charity said...

Yumm. I love those cookies. I've been haveing issues with eating poorly while I watch the olympics too! I finaly had to put my foot down and say NO sugar at all...at least for a few days. It's only been 3 or 4 days but I feel like its been an eternity. All my treats are calling my name.

Elisa said...

I just put a box of thin mints DEEP in my freezer so they are a little harder to get to, and I am eating slow churned samoas girls scout cookie ice cream. It is evil!