Monday, November 3, 2008

It's official. I'm skinny.

You know how after you work out twice in a row, you just feel like you look dang good? Well, that's me. I really don't look any different, but MAN, do I feel different. Today was another YMCA day.

A couple months ago, my skinny runner sister-in-law Brittani told me about runnersworld.com and how they had all these workouts on there for anyone at any running level. There are few people who are at my level of running - aka no running at all. But for some reason, this morning Brittani's suggestion popped in my mind, so I checked it out. And guess what I found? There are actually other people on my level. Or maybe Runner's World wrote this just for me. But I found one called "Beginner's Training Program." Oh, that's what I'm called. A Beginner. The workout subtitle was "Follow this plan to become a runner." And folks, that's what I'm trying to do. I want to have that title under my belt. Stephanie the Runner. Don't know why - I just do.

So I started today, day 1 of week 1 of my new training program to become a runner. Truthfully, there was more walking than running on today's docket. PERFECT for me. I'm all about walking. And it was very time-intensive - I looked at the watch and told myself, "You only have to run for 30 more seconds. You can easily do that." And I did. I completed the whole 30 minutes. Walking and running around the track, catching the different landmarks to keep me going. Walgreens out the window. Seeing Eva through the daycare window downstairs, just sitting in the same chair staring around the entire time. (What a social butterfly.) The cone covering a damaged part of the track. The front desk with the delicious smell of coffee floating up. (I LOVE the smell of coffee! Too bad I don't drink it.) The big stopclock that was off from my stopwatch. The teenage boys playing basketball. All these things, I floated past. And watched my big butt bounce up and down in my reflection in the windows, bouncing its way to skinny perfection.

Although on the last minute of running, I had a random suicide attempt. I got this crazy thought that I was a gazelle and I actually had the physical capacity to sprint. After that minute was over and I was gulping air and dying and blacking out, I realized that I am NOT a gazelle. Not yet. Just give me 8 weeks.

1 comment:

Brittani said...

Dwight Schrute: I am fast. To give you a reference point, I'm somewhere between a snake and a mongoose. And a panther.

Way to go Steph!