Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My baby is crawling.

It's about time. He is over 9 1/2 months old, and we were starting to worry about him. But this week, he just decided it was time, and he moved forward. I love watching him explore his new-found freedom. He still hasn't mastered the rhythm of it yet - he puts his opposite hand and knee down at the exact same time, making for a little bit of wobble. But he gets the job done and gets where he wants to go. I am thrilled.

But at the same time, I am a little sad. Just now, as I stood at the kitchen sink cleaning up breakfast dishes, I looked over to where I had set him on the floor, and he was gone. I felt a strange tinge of sadness. Although I love that he is learning new things, I am sad that my baby is gone. Crawling brings about a new independence, and the little baby who needs who for everything is gone forever.

I'm glad I don't have to worry anymore that he is developmentally delayed or something, but at the same time I'm a little sad that he's growing up. I feel like it was just last week we brought him home from the hospital, and now suddenly he's mobile. There is a new sense of the unknown, as he probably won't stay where I put him ever again. I'm happy for my little boy, but I'm going to miss my tiny baby.

I have since cut my hair again, and it no longer looks like that. Maybe soon I'll post of picture of the new 'do.

No comments: