Monday, March 1, 2010

First day of preschool

It's finally March! I felt like February would never end. I have been waiting for March 1st for a long time. Today was the day I started Eva's home preschool. After a recommendation from a trusted and wise friend, I purchased a book called Teach Me Mommy. I have been planning and preparing for about a month for our first lesson, Me and Myself.

This morning when 9am rolled around I enthusiastically welcomed my two kids to preschool. (They're thinking, Um, Mom, we're still in the living room.) We said the Pledge of Allegiance, the months of the year, and days of the week, and looked out the window to determine the weather (cloudy, of course).
We learned about Eva's name, looked at baby pictures of her, practiced writing the letters E,V, and A, read books, sang songs, marched around the room, marked their heights on a growth chart on the wall, colored, and made sugar cookies with the letters of our names. Lucky Leighton has a long name so he got the most cookies.
It was harder than I thought to keep things going. Eva often fought what we were doing. She didn't like being directed on her letters at first. Getting her to stand against the wall to measure her was a battle. Making sugar cookies was a total mess.
But at the end of the day, I feel really good. My house isn't spotless, but I spent the day teaching and playing with my kids. And although it doesn't get a check on my to-do list, it still feels pretty good.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sounds like a fun and successful first day! I love those letter cookie-cutters. Where did you get them?

Chels said...

Those will be the days you cherrish. Not a clean home every day, but the moments with your kids. They are gone all to soon.

Mikael Squire said...

Sounds like so much fun! p.s. you never called me back! Call me!

Perry, Christi and Logan said...

That awesome! I bet your kids will love it
cute quilt by the way