Monday, April 7, 2008

Homeowners, reunited with Eva, and new vampire fan

I'm back. I'm not home yet--this is the trip that never ends--but I am back in my parents' house. With my Eva girl. Last week I left her to go meet Andrew in Washington for a "house hunting" trip. Even though there was no hunting involved because we had already decided we were going to build. But what do you call that kind of a trip? A "detail finalizing" trip? No. Anyway. It was so fun to be with Andrew, and we got a lot done. We are homeowners! Well, officially. Of course our home doesn't yet exist, but it will by the time we move there, we hope. And we know exactly what countertops, carpet, paint color, light fixtures, front doors, dishwasher, and every other last little detail that will be waiting for us inside. It was a blast. Sorry to not post any pictures--they are on my laptop and I can't get them off. Anyway. The trip was great except for one thing. I missed Eva like CRAZY. Long distance dating was a piece of cake compared to this. Saying good night and watching Andrew walk to his car while being engaged and thinking I was going to die during the long 12 hours until I saw him again? Child's play. Separation from my child was like nothing I had ever experienced before. Every couple hours I would say to Andrew, "I miss Missy." Every time her crinkly nose smile would come in my head, every time I opened my cell phone and saw her face looking back at me from my screensaver, every time I saw any other mother with their child, I said those words. The worst it got was 3 days into the trip (also 3 days from coming home) when we were in a store looking at washers and dryers. I sat on a bunkbed mattress to rest my aching feet and started missing Eva worse than ever. I actually started crying. Andrew came over a minute later and I told him tearfully, "I miss Missy!" and he hugged me and said he did too. I felt like an idiot, shedding tears over machinery (that's probably what it looked like to passersby), but I didn't care. When I finally got home a little past midnight on Thursday night, I raced up to the room to look at sleeping Eva. I cried with relief to be back with her again. I think it will be a while before I leave her again. Not that I won't do it again--I definitely will. It's good for me every once in a while. But not for a long while.
So now that I'm back with Eva, I'm resigned to missing Andrew. He is stuck in a hotel in Spokane with NOTHING to do until his training starts on Thursday. He's bored out of his mind and I'm pretty bored too. Why is it that when planning a trip to my parents' house I never take into account how quickly I am ready to go back home? I always seem to forget that when I leave. Don't get my wrong, I love my family and it's fun to see them, but...I'm just really grateful that I don't live here for good anymore. :)
On a different note, I have just finished the Twilight series. I had been saving the first one for my plane ride to Washington. I started it at my gate waiting for my plane and finished it before we landed at SeaTac about 9 hours later. I bought the second book for my plane ride home, and the third one I started this morning and finished about an hour ago. To say the least, I completely devoured them (vampires on the brain...). They were easy reading and I was in need of some entertainment and a good story. I won't say they are my favorite books I've ever read. For some reason I am slightly offended that Bella thinks she would rather DIE than be apart from Edward, when here I am apart from my one true love and I'm breathing just fine. Of course there is some fairy tale aspect to the story that makes it romantic, but I think I love Andrew just as much as Bella loves Edward. And I never had a backup plan, and I never hesitated to marry him. So there, Bella. But aside from that, it was enjoyable. Oh, and I also HATE when authors use the cheap trick of not really ending the book so that you don't know the whole story until you read the next one, which of course won't come out for months. But that cheap trick does work, even on harsh critics like me. So if you're looking for a good page turner with a really good, imaginative story, read Twilight. And New Moon, and Eclipse, by Stephenie Meyer. You can borrow mine.
One last thing--a two hour time difference should NOT wreak this much havoc on my sleeping cycles. Since Andrew is still 2 hours behind me, I have to stay up late to talk to him and then Eva gets up early, and I'm TIRED. As soon as this dumb basketball game that Andrew is watching is over and he calls me back, I'm going to bed. Where my hyperactive unborn child will wake me up several times from his hard kicking. Eva was never this bad. It must be a boy thing.

8 comments:

AnnEE said...

I missed you! I loved this update. I agree about not realizing how much it sucks to be away from the hubby for so long- we forget. When I went to San Diego for 6 days with the boy, I was dying! When will your house be built?

Are you on Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad you posted! I'm so glad your trip went well, and I can't imagine being away from from Ty for a whole week! You're awesome. How fun to plan out your whole house together! I still need to read the third book(eclipse), I read the first two and I liked them too. And the kicking thing might be a boy thing because Tyler NEVER stopped moving. It was really distracting in classes, he was just crazy active. I'm so excited to see you and Eva on Friday!

Ali said...

Tired... a word I am so familiar with at the moment...

Congrats on the building of your home! What a dream come true :) I was in tears as I read how much you missed Eva. I felt an echo in my heart as I read that (cheesy Ali).

In other news, HOORAY that you read Twilight. I agree with your assessment... and am eagerly looking forward to the movie and final book (August 2nd - yay).

Ali said...

In response to Anne's question -

TEAM EDWARD (oh baby, oooh baby)

Watts Family said...

COME BACK STEPH!!!!!!!!!! Man, I am glad that you got a lot done but I miss you sooooo much. I am sure I will see you soon. Love ya.

hillarie said...

Oh so weird! I was perusing your blog and saw that you read "the Road". Just finished it! Weird book. At the end I was just like "oh." I read Twilight a while back- Does Bella live through her birthday party???? Hmmm... let me guess.
So when are you guys coming again?? ?

Unknown said...

Steph you crack me up, I love how you write your post's they are so good, I know what you mean, you love your family but glad you don't live there for good:) And when Jay was gone and we had a two hours time difference it killed me too, maybe its b/c we are pregnant and need our sleep, but I can relate!! Hope you are having a blast!!

Elise said...

I've been missing your posts! It is always fun to read about your exciting life. And Bella definitely was annoying me in the third book. As for Team Edward or Team Jacob, I think kissing someone with ice cold breath would be pretty fun :).