Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Farewell to Washington

Our most recent family picture - last night in front of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge
Our movers will be here in about a half-hour, and we're about to shut down this computer for good. At least for good in the Pacific Northwest. I feel strangely like once this thing is unplugged, it's official that we're leaving. So here's one last post from my loft with chartreuse walls.

I had a sad moment last night as I looked through all our pictures (when I should have been packing) and made a stack of ones that reminded me of things we would miss about Washington. The people, for one. Marelize, Melanie, Monique, Deidra, Deb, to name a few. And their kids - my kids will miss their little friends.

I'll miss this house. My green kitchen, the view out my kitchen and bedroom windows, our neglected garden, our central vac system.

I'll miss this beautiful state. The green green everywhere, the gorgeous rocky beaches, the park across the street, being able to cut down our own live Christmas tree, our view of Mount Rainier right outside the neighborhood, spring afternoons in the backyard on a blanket, the farmers' market, even the rain.

How do I say good-bye to this place without getting all sentimental? I can't. And I hate good-byes anyway. So before I think too hard and start to cry, I'll just go clean out the pantry. One last time.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Brittani said...

the kids asked me yesterday when we were going to get to go to Washington again, I was sad when I had to say I am not sure, and maybe never :-( I cannot even imagine how you feel. Good luck with the move and cannot wait to hear about the new adventurs!

Lacking Productivity said...

I would be missing the incredible seafood. Oh, the seafood!

The Willis Wonder Years said...

This stinks!! I am excited for YOU but this really stinks for us. I am not even going to begin to try and explain on this stupid comment box how much I am going to miss you. I am just going to sign off and live in denial. You are not really leaving...you are not really leaving...(maybe if I keep saying that it will come true)

Mikael Squire said...

We will miss Washington too! But I am so glad that you will be close enough for me to come crash on weekends!